Location: Allegheny County
Deadline: March 3, 2021
Our people make Literacy Pittsburgh a welcoming and positive place to learn. We value a diverse and inclusive work environment where employees feel a sense of belonging. This commitment is reflected in the values that guide our day-to-day work. We believe that our students, our employees, and our organization thrive best when we embrace and welcome those with a variety of life experiences. We are committed to a hiring process that increases the diversity of our staff, and encourage people who represent the richness of our shared humanity to apply. We welcome all qualified applicants who reflect a diversity of culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, past experience with poverty or homelessness, or prior contact with the juvenile, criminal justice, or child welfare systems.
Literacy Pittsburgh offers a flexible, collaborative environment with a commitment to best practices, innovation, and growth. We welcome creative and hard-working team players who share a passion for creating better lives through learning.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for leading Literacy Pittsburgh’s volunteer tutoring programs in a specific geography within the agency’s service area. The position coordinates services for tutors and students in designated neighborhood areas and develops local partnerships to create better lives through learning. The program coordinator ensures that the volunteer tutoring program in their area is a high-quality experience for students and volunteers alike by providing excellent volunteer and student support and student-focused intake, assessment, and matching.
Reporting Relationships: Reports Director of Volunteer and Community Services
FLSA Status: Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $36,000 - $38,000
- Coordinate community-based volunteer services in designated neighborhoods and area locations.
- Develop and support community-based partnerships that advance Literacy Pittsburgh’s mission by reaching new students and tutors, connecting with related service providers and enhancing our program offerings.
- Work with the Volunteer and Community Program team to plan and coordinate program services, monitor progress and solve problems and ensure program compliance with applicable state, federal, and other grant requirements.
- Follow agency protocol and processes for effective service delivery.
- Oversee volunteer professional development and on-going training to ensure a high-quality volunteer experience that leads to strong student outcomes.
- Collect, analyze and monitor key student and tutor performance, including attendance hours, student assessment scores, learning objectives, student and tutor feedback, and outcomes for state and federal compliance, student learning objectives, and overall program improvement.
- Provide case management support and referrals for students to address barriers and transition needs as related to program participation.
- Participate with internal agency committees and teams, as well as relevant external partnerships.
- Represent Literacy Pittsburgh in outreach efforts and as an expert in volunteer coordination and adult education in assigned geographic locations.
- All other duties as assigned by Director of Volunteer and Community Services.
This position requires use of personal vehicle for local travel. Some evening hours will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Experience in managing volunteers preferred
- Experience teaching, tutoring, or adult education preferred
- Ability to organize and coordinate volunteers and students
- Flexibility, adaptable to changing needs and schedules
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships with, build rapport with, and motivate diverse groups of people to achieve their education and career goals
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Proficiency in workplace digital platforms
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and public speaking
- A passion for education and educational programming
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with diverse populations
- A team player attitude
- A desire to continually learn and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Act 33/34 clearances
- Able to work in a non-standard environment (work from home)
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; bend; use both hands and all digits to type and use a mouse; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
How to Apply
Deadline: March 3, 2021
Please send resume and cover letter with the name of the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Literacy Pittsburgh invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences can contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff, students, volunteers, and supporters.