Thanks to you, Literacy Pittsburgh continues to grow, evolve, and thrive. You’ve heard us say that our students are those who have been left behind, those who just arrived, and, most of all, those who never give up. Serving people with this kind of tenacity and grit requires us to show similar fortitude as an organization. With determination and vision, we grew and evolved to help our tenacious students, the Pittsburgh region, and employers meet the challenges of the moment.
We're pleased to share some highlights from the past year.
- Digital learning expanded with the addition of two digital skills instructors who teach at sites across Allegheny and Beaver counties.
- Classrooms are now equipped with student computers and smartboards to offer cutting-edge learning and hybrid flexibility.
- Career development partnerships offer students the ability to transition seamlessly into the high-demand fields of construction, healthcare, and early childhood education.
- We helped local employers boost retention, recruitment, and advancement for their staff through our contract-based Employee Training Services program.
- Our Career Accelerator pilot program helped 34 adults attain their GED diploma, build career plans, and advance into meaningful work and higher education.
- The state awarded Literacy Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Job Training and Education grants, which enabled expansions to career development programming.
- Our staff grew, changed, and diversified throughout 2021, including the addition of new staff positions to reach our strategic goals.
- We have begun safely offering more in-person services across the region, as well as offering a blended learning model that melds in-person and remote instruction.
Continuing to grow, evolve, and thrive in the new reality is both challenging and invigorating. An ever-changing (and seemingly never-ending) pandemic creates uncertainty. And yet our students, volunteers, and staff persevere.
Your generosity breaks down barriers and creates opportunities for people in your community. We thank you for supporting our accomplishments in 2021. As we begin our 40th birthday year, we look forward to celebrating with you and building upon these successes for the benefit of our students and our community.
You can read the complete 2020-21 Annual Report in the Public Documents section of our website.
Literacy Pittsburgh (formerly Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council) helps create better lives through learning. Recognized as a national leader in adult and family literacy, Literacy Pittsburgh is the largest provider of adult basic education in Allegheny and Beaver Counties. Last year, Literacy Pittsburgh helped some 3.700 individuals acquire the skills needed to reach their fullest potential in life and participate productively in their communities. Literacy Pittsburgh provides free, personalized instruction in workforce readiness, high school diploma test preparation, digital literacy, English language learning, math, reading, and family literacy through one-to-one and small class instruction. Founded in 1982, it serves local adults through numerous neighborhood locations and its Downtown Pittsburgh Learning Center.